Back to Overview
How to get the most out of meetings
Nothing wastes more time during the workday than a superfluous meeting without results. Meetings mostly fail to produce results due to insufficient organization or poor execution.
The following tips tell you what to look out for to make your meeting a success:
1) In principle: make sure the meeting is really necessary
- What is the purpose of the meeting?
- Could the issues be clarified by e-mail or phone instead?
- Does everyone have to be present the whole time?
2) Before the meeting: establish a time frame and agenda
- Clearly define the amount of time needed and schedule the meeting accordingly
- Prepare agenda
- Communicate in advance the goals, agenda and participants
3) During the meeting: follow clear rules
- Choose someone to keep track of the time and check off agenda items
- Set rules (for example, switching off mobile phones) and obtain consent
- Establish further steps or tasks to be tackled after the meeting and assign them to specific people
4) After the meeting: stay on the ball
- Send meeting minutes in bullet-point format to all participants
- Keep track of the completion of the tasks assigned
- If necessary, arrange follow-up meetings