Three good reasons to implement virtual payments

From 8 June, DVLA changes mean that the paper counterpart of the UK driving licence will not be valid. After that date, the photocard licence will constitute the full UK driving licence.


The DVLA has set up a number of channels for car rental companies to authenticate customers’ driving licence information including a telephone helpline and internet portal, which allows a driver to share their driving licence information and requires a code to access.


Customers who have paper licences issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998 should note that their licences remain valid and are unaffected by the change.

The change does not affect licences issued by the Driver and Vehicle Agency in Northern Ireland.


Depending on the country you are renting in, you may be required to provide additional information which is stored by the DVLA – this also varies by company. 


You can find out more about accessing your full driving licence information online here.


A summary of requirements provided by our suppliers is outlined below:




Enterprise will only require corporate customers to show their photocard licence as proof that they hold a valid UK driving licence - no other documentation will be required.

Enterprise will only verify driving licence information through the DVLA helpline or website when the customer does not have their photocard with them.



In the UK


Anyone collecting their vehicle in the UK will only need to bring their photocard licence*.


Customers may be required to consent to their licence records being accessed. All UK customers will need to hold a full and valid licence free from any endorsements excluded in Avis’ terms & conditions.


*The following stores will require customers to bring their DVLA 'Share my Licence' code at the time of rental; Bae Samlesbury, Bae Warton, Barrow In Furness, Blackpool Airport, Bolton, Carlisle, Chester, Kendal, Lancaster, Reading, Stockport, Stoke On Trent, Warrington, Warrington Bank Quay Train Station, Workington.


Renting abroad


Many countries around the world do not require the paper counterpart but there are some that have to due to insurance reasons. Therefore customers are advised to take along a print out of their licence, which shows current restrictions and penalties.




When renting in the UK, Armenia, Austria, Balearics, Canaries, Hungary, Oman, Slovenia, Sweden and Tunisia, all drivers with a UK licence will need to provide evidence of any driving endorsements.


To save time at the counter please take a print out of your licence summary.  The summary will be valid with Hertz for up to 30 days from the ‘Date generated.’


For further information on how to create and manage an effective ground transportation programme, please contact your CWT representative on +44 (0)20 3353 0340 / in the UK or +353 (0) 12199606/ in Ireland.